Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, June 01, 2009

    5 Years Ago...

    5 Years Ago yesterday was my first day as the pastor of Journey Fellowship Church. I do not remember what I did that day. To be honest, if I had known how challenging and draining these last few years would be, I don't know that I would have done it. It would have been easier, more stable, and far more financially lucrative to have simply left the church I was serving and gone on down the food chain to the next big thing. There were offers and there was opportunity, but in the end Amanda and I decided to do something hard and scary, we decided to follow God's leadership and forge something new.

    There are times when it makes me a little bitter. Every friend I had then is driving a nice car, has savings and retirement, and is largely living debt free and happy. They have big youth groups, interns, paid vacations, and lots of older people in their churches who shower them with gifts and perks and "bonuses." And it would be nice to have all of those things.

    But...and there is a but...I would be living a lie. I was not meant for those things. I was meant and called for something different, not greater, just different. And that's why I am writing this tonight, because 5 years ago I did something that I am so thankful that I was asked to do...I planted a church. And it's not just any church, through the past 5 years it has begun to become the place that God dreamed it to be...a place where anyone can walk in, be accepted for who they are, and meet Jesus.

    See that's what God dreamed in me for years, even before I knew it. From the time I was young, I was given the ability to be friends with anyone. Amanda says I can talk to a brick wall. And because of that, God has given me a heart for people, especially people who do not know Jesus. And that is who JFC was built for.

    A church like this does not get started without a ton of people. And I want to take a few minutes to say Thank you to those who have walked with us along the way (and those who have inspired us):

    - to James Lankford who made the mistake of telling me about guys who were planting churches because their churches were broken and they could not bear the thought of people going to hell because of it

    - to Ted Lam and Bo Holland and the CBA who believed enough in the dream to give money and training

    - to FBC Bethany and Charlie Womack- who let us go even though it was at a difficult time and who gave even when there was not much to give

    - to the Kerrs, the Perrines, and the Hopkins who believed enough to come and help us get started and then stuck around

    - to the Koonces and the Busserts who prayed and supported and gave even when it hurt

    - to Mammaw and Grandaddy who bought groceries, gave money, prayed and supported even though it did not make sense

    - to Fila Phill who led worship and set up and slept on my crappy couch just to be a part

    - to all the people who came and stayed a season to help us get started Reg and Judy, Big Mike, Gina G, Lynz, Regina and Cody, the Blooms...and the list could go on

    - to the Hungerfords who led us in worship for many years

    - to the Dynamo folks who rented us space even though we could not guarantee we could make rent

    - to Mark Driscoll, Donald Miller, Mike Yacconelli, Tim Keller, and Ed Stetzer who have provided inspiration and illumination along the way

    - to Mike Janssen and Zac Workun who have been friends along the way who have encouraged and fought and served along with me

    - to Tommy Haines who would not let me throw in the towel and who every week provides me with a place to vent, celebrate and laugh

    - to guys like Craig Smith who have booked me to speak so that I could make some extra cash and always managed to call at just the right time with encouragement and insight

    - to Brad and April and Jay and the crew at FBC-Sulphur who have put their money where their hearts are and have invested in this church

    - to the Huffs who loaned me a car when I had no car and no dollars to buy one and to Merle and Shirley who gave one away that they could have sold

    - to Dan and Patty VZ who gave me a job and helped me to feed my family and make the house payment by keeping me on for 5 years...you have no idea how awesome you guys are

    - to the Abernathy and Curtis families for love and support

    - to my brothers Lok, Young, and Bull- I would have never made it this far without you...

    - to my 3 beautiful girls, daddies angels- I am building a church for you girls- follow Jesus

    - to the only love of my life, my Princess- thank you for saying yes, thank you for being the best mom and wife in the world, and thank you for never losing faith in this journey even when I wanted to

    - most of all to my Jesus- You are the only One I would do this for, and You are the only One who makes this all worth it, thank You for saving a wretch like me and for giving me the chance to play a part in Your kingdom...may the Kingdom advance

    - last of all to the families of Journey Fellowship Church- the crazy band of brothers and sisters who love Jesus more than themselves and who are committed to going where He goes...keep pushing...do not quit...we have only just begun

    5 years is not a long time and yet it is like a lifetime. If you are looking for a place to serve Jesus and leave religion behind, we invite you to come and experience Journey Fellowship Church. We exist to connect people with Jesus, to build strong Families, and to transform a Community. Come and join us on the journey of lifetime with Jesus.

    May His Kingdom Advance...

    -

    No comments: