Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, February 07, 2006

    What story are we telling?

    Maybe I should call this post what story do we want to tell. I think every church tells a story. Most tell the Gospel story in one way or another. But what does the Bible say a church should be a story of? I think it's a wedding story. When I think about the church and look at Revelation I see a story about a wedding- people being joined together in a covenant with God the Father who gives His Son for the bride. How do we tell this story?

    First, I think we focus on the sacrifice of the Son. Jesus gave up so much to come and get us. He left the glory, the worship, the perfection of heaven to be wrapped in weak flesh and to be reviled by man. Everything we do should point to this. I was really on board with the seeker movement years ago. I was for less religious icons in the building, fewer mystical experiences, and somehow I think that I was wrong. I think those images and features put into words what happened 2000 years ago at a location called Place of the Skull.

    Second, I think we focus on unconditional love- agape if you will. God's love for us in my mind reminds me of that old couple in the interview parts of When Harry Met Sally. The couple who've been married forever and seem to understand one another's weaknesses and strengths to a depth I cannot imagine. This is just the begining of how God knows us, but it is an intimacy we can strive for as parts of the bride.

    Finally, I think the wedding picture gives us a story of unity. Paul talks about us all working together. We read in the NT about being united with Christ. We hear the phrase "what God has put together let no man put asunder" at a wedding. We are God's when we enter into a covenant with His Son.

    So the church story is a wedding. What does the picture album look like right now? How can we become a wedding story that invites others into the relationship?

    Thoughts for another day.
    On His Journey,
    Abs

    No comments: