Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, October 27, 2009

    Coolest Night of My Life....


    I will be returning to the subject of spiritual maturity later this week, but something else now commands my thoughts and I think I've digested enough of it to write about it.

    Sunday, October 18th I spent about 10 hours on my feet volunteering for One.org and rocking out to the band that has done more to minister to me than just about anyone in the course of my life...U2.

    Now before any of you naysayers come popping in here to be critical just shut up and listen for a minute. They may not be your favorite band and they may not be model "Churchianity" Christians but they are men of faith and it is their faith that does not just appeal to me, but it challenges me.

    I became acquainted with the 4 lads from Dublin in high school with a video on MTV. "Where the Streets Have No Name" was filmed in downtown LA without a permit. It caused a massive traffic jam and was in the process of being shut down when it was filmed. In fact, the uncut version of the video has a police officer saying over the radio "Shut the g--d---- thing down, now!" Which is right when the band began to sing.

    But it was in college, that my love of these guys became so pronounced. The album The Joshua Tree and the live album Rattle and Hum were deeply coated with Scriptural references. They spoke of faith in a way that was not so blatant and obvious like the CCM of my high school days, but was subversive and lived out- Bono calls it "drawing our fish in the sand" in a Rolling Stone interview.

    I never lost my enjoyment of their music, but the advent of the internet put a ton of info about U2 at my fingertips. These guys were not just singing an occasional song about faith. They were living it. Embedded in it. To the point that it seemed to affect others who were looking for faith in something but having trouble finding it...including purportedly their own bassist Adam Clayton and one of the Gallagher boys from Oasis.

    And it is their faith that challenges me and makes me a mega-fan. Bono in particular speaks eloguently of Scripture's call to minister to the poor and the emphasis in the life of Christ in serving the downtrodden. His organizations DATA and One.org are committed to making these commands into a reality.

    Then there are the songs- Where the Streets Have No Name has always been my favorite and will always be. It is the one song guaranteed to make any bad day better. Add to that I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For and With or Without You. Then songs like Bad, October, Yahweh, Grace, Wake Up Dead Man, Ultraviolet, Beautiful Day, and City of Blinding Lights...and I could go on. Songs of faith and liberation and a celebration of life like no other.

    So with all that history and emotion I spent the day at Owen Field volunteering for One and waiting for the show. At just after 9pm we hit the Pit and for the next 2 hours it was literally like time stopped. For me, it was the first time to be at a live U2 show and the energy was amazing. But what was most awesome, was it was not just about 4 guys on a stage, it was about something Bigger, Someone bigger. And people around me could tell. The Gospel was not preached and an invitation was not offered but there was Someone there. And it came in the hearts of the guys on stage. When Bono sang Magnificent, if you were listening, it was obvious who he was singing about. And when the song One came to a close and the opening strains of Amazing Grace were played, you knew that there was more to this show than a rock band and its fans.

    All of this has been whirling around in my head for over a week now. For U2, this is daily life. They perform and record. And their lives point to something greater- a God they serve. What if our lives, our daily boring, non-rock star lives were pointed to something else. What if everything we did was committed to making someone else known? Thanks again guys for reminding me as you did almost 20 years ago, that my life with Jesus is not meant to be lived in a bubble.

    4 comments:

    Friend said...

    "the band that has done more to minister to me than just about anyone in the course of my life...U2."

    Quite a paradox from one that list community as one of three foundational pillars of their church.

    I think that this is rather common of my experience with those who are in the ministry.

    They talk about the importance of community, but never truly experience it for themselves. They have no immediate friends of any deep or personally revealing nature. If they do have accountability in their life, it is from people who live miles and miles away never seeing the life of the ones they hold accountable.

    Speaking of songs, Paul Simon's "I Am a Rock" comes to mind. "I have my books and my poetry...Hiding safe within my womb. I tough no one and no one touches me."

    I hope this is not you.

    I pray that the history and means of ministry to you by the Spirit would shift to a personal relational nature within the body of Christ. That you would be able to freely bear who you are to the community of believers in your life and receive love and blessing in return.


    In the next part of your life I hope that those who minister most to you isn't a band, but the relationships you have with the body of Christ.

    absonjourney said...

    Wow "Friend" that's kind of a lot to assume from a blog post. I am blessed to be a part of a church community where I am known and loved for who I am faults and all. My circle of accountability includes both the near and the far. What I meant by being ministered to by the guys in U2 is spelled out in the rest of the post. Try reading it again. Have a great day!

    Ryan

    Friend said...

    Sorry if I offended you in some way. Ministry from my understanding is an incredibly personal thing. Life on life, person on person, compassionate response to those in need. For me ministry is not just some reminder / example of how to live. It is much more personal than that.

    So when I read that the most influential ministry you have received is through a non-personal vicarious relationship you have with a band through their music, I get a picture of someone who is incredibly isolated and lonely. Isolation is not necessarily an issue of social connectedness. When it comes to the the openness of the deepest matters of our hearts many are incredibly alone.

    It has been my unfortunate experience to see and know several who have hindered the gospel and harmed their families because of sins that they refused to be accountable for. Some of these men and ministers had "accountability" groups, but for what ever reason refused to be open and honest with the people in the groups. I have often seen the pattern that I mentioned in my earlier post of social and physical distance between those who have messed up and their supposed accountability.

    All that to say is that was in my mind when I read those words in your post. If my thoughts have value for you then great if not take them as a warning or reminder.

    If you have ever sat in a meeting with a man facing his wife and daughters talking about how daddy messed up, then you know what I am talking about when I am concerned for the need for genuine accountability and openness in everyones life (not just those in ministry).

    Kevin said...

    dude, check out this perspective of the U2 show. pretty intense. crazy night.
    http://freshbakedandfruitcake.blogspot.com/2009/10/magnificent-fb-maybe-fc-now-forgot-to.html